View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Calling all rubicon and hondamatic transmission owners 

Post Calling all rubicon and hondamatic transmission owners
I've pretty much decided I want to get a rubicon when I get the funds collected.

I've been reading a lot about the rubicon. It seems like this bike might have an achilles heel. The dreaded angle sensor. Which I guess this probem could be seen with any of the hondamatic bikes.

Heres what I want from you:

1> What year is your rubicon? What is your bike if other than a rubicon?
2> Hours and mileage on your bike?
3> Have you had the angle sensor or anytype of shifting/loss of power problem? Explain, if you wish.
4> What type of riding do you do?

Thanks for taking time to help a brudah out. I'm trying to get a handle on if this is a problem with a few or most of the rubicons.

Again thanks for taking the time.

Blessings,
TRHOD

http://www.synthetic-oil-tech.com/1246101/

Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:51 am

i went from a foreman s 2002 to a rincon new 04 i know that on the 400 at when the sensor goes it pretty much toasts your weekend ride. but then this particular honda was in and out of the water[bars deep] several times so moisture was probably a big factor :)

Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:19 am

I bought a used 2002 rubicon in 04. It is a great riding and handling machine. But I am having 2 problems. 1. Gear Angle Sensor !!!!!!!
I have learned how to replace it myself and can do it in about 10 min.
I NEVER ride without a spare. Also I had an issue with my machine when I would top a hill and feather the throttle back -- the bike tended to die right on the top at the worst possible spot.

I would like to replsce my 2002 with a new black rubicon but from what I understand the new machines are having the same issues, So I am probably going to look at a different machine. What can you do?

HONDA ARE YOU LISTENING ?????

Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:49 am

ATV: '09 "Desert Hawk Edition" Rincon
Affiliation: Proud and Supporting Member of;
NRA(lifetime),Ducks Unlimited(lifetime)
2)365 hours 3621miles
3)None,Foot Peg & Rack bolt Thats it :wink:
4)Extreme Desert & Mountian riding 8)

I have never had an issue with jetting up to
8600ft

Maintance and A Pre-Ride inspection will
always make a huge diffrance

I ride in temps of 25° to 115°
and it always wants more :D

Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:07 pm

i have a 2001 rubicon 500 and it will not shift out of 1st or reverse. that is the only 2 gears you can use. when you start it and put it in drive the gauges flash at you the esp, d1, d2 lights flash at me. someone told me that the computer is out. but i was wondering if it was the angle sensor. where is the sensor located? and how hard is it to replace? and what does it do when it goes out? thank you. other that that and the hard suspension i love my rubicon.

Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:14 pm

search the threads for the error codes on your honda. there is a sequence to the flashes and when this happens it puts the machine in protection mode. thus no 2or 3rd gear

Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:46 pm

Post Re: Calling all rubicon and hondamatic transmission owners
TRHOD wrote:
I've pretty much decided I want to get a rubicon when I get the funds collected.

I've been reading a lot about the rubicon. It seems like this bike might have an achilles heel. The dreaded angle sensor. Which I guess this probem could be seen with any of the hondamatic bikes.

Heres what I want from you:

1> What year is your rubicon? What is your bike if other than a rubicon?
2> Hours and mileage on your bike?
3> Have you had the angle sensor or anytype of shifting/loss of power problem? Explain, if you wish.
4> What type of riding do you do?

Thanks for taking time to help a brudah out. I'm trying to get a handle on if this is a problem with a few or most of the rubicons.

Again thanks for taking the time.

Blessings,
TRHOD

06 rubi CTE with Gpscape Had to get used to tranny after riding foot shift but now i love it
1700 km no problems
Regular service intervals @ 1000 km

And have only ridden for three months

I have already :quadflip: Four times

Riding style : Trails, Mud, Full throttle

2500 Lb Warn

God himself rides a Honda

Wed May 09, 2007 2:39 am

2> 58 Hours 350 miles
3> Have an unexplained tranny/shifting problem. Angle sensor, ECU, D1, D2, ESP switch, Shift Motor, and Shift Switch have all been replaced yet the bike is still stuck in gear and won't shift and still sputters in reverse. She is now at another Honda Dealer.
4> I like mud riding, Trail Riding, Mild Jumps and Hill Climbs (yes i use my low range!!!)

It is a great bike aside from the tranny issue... it is a pure joy to ride!!!!!

Wed May 09, 2007 5:00 pm

Post New TRX500
Just purchased 2007 TRX500 Rubicon Can Trail. 80km / 20+ hrs. No problems yet, rides rough on the rear without my better half on back. Wished it had some more ponies..... other than that, it's awesome... love the green, gps is sweet, fuel econo is great, Started everytime easy. Installed winch and Bear Claws works great... I would never buy a belt drive system, too many negatives with them... but if I had to it would be a Bombardier only!!!

Fri May 11, 2007 5:54 pm

ATV: 2003 Rancher TM
2003 Rincon
You might want to reconsider the Bomb idea:

Totaled.

'The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government' - Thomas Jefferson

Thu May 17, 2007 6:18 pm

I have a 2002 350 rancher, it has a jet kit, k&n air filter and 25" mudlites. Ii has 2000 km's and about 245 hrs on it. It has never once failed or faulted. Never even stalled on me. It is not the fastest or the smoothest but I have pulled the fastest and the smoothest home behind me plenty of times. I love that bike. I also have an 06' rubicon trail edition with 65 hrs and 400 km's on it. I still think that I have made a mistake with this bike and given the chance I would not buy it again. I have not had any problems with the "angle sensor" nor do I even know where or what it is, but it does have a stalling problem when you are in the heavy stuff and back off the throttle. In a road race my 350 has the hole shot and they are pretty even up to 60 km/hr then the rubi pulls up to 70km/hr. Don't get me wrong I am not looking for a racing quad, but I can't help but feel that the 500 should have more power than the 350. Also the automatic transmission is not what I had expected, when you are in the heavy stuff or climbing hills the tranny will not shift down untill the bike is either at a deadstop or stalled out, kind of pathetic actually. I don't want to sound to negative about the bike though because I would still never stray from honda, but if I were to do it again I would have bought the rincon. It is a good bike if you ride in esp mode and want a reliable bike just don't expect to much for horsepower.

Sun May 20, 2007 10:01 pm

ATV: 2006 Honda Rubicon
Post MF
MF - replaced the angle sensor in May and now it's out again!

Called Honda at 1-888-946-6329 to file a complaint - make sure they spell you last name properly so that your file is easy to find.

We need to be calling them about this so that a recall or something can be done.

This is a Honda problem and it's embarrasing!

Why buy a reliable machine if it's NOT reliable?

Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:27 am
Profile WWW

ATV: 2006 Honda Rubicon
Post $$
I am calling Honda this week.

Friggin machine cost me $700+ to fix!

D1,D2,ESP --> was not the angle sensor this time, was not the computer, it was the ball-nut in the reduction gear case! No way to maintain this part! Next time it's the transmission!

Be careful!

If u have any problems, call Honda to file a complaint so that we can get this kind of thing acknowledged.

Aaron

Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:11 pm
Profile WWW

ATV: 2003 Rancher TM
2003 Rincon
All these recent Rubi problems are making me wonder. I know people who have had Rubis since they came out in 2001 without a lick of trouble from them at all. One dude has changed his oil TWICE in 6 years, and never adjusted his valves. Go figure!

'The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government' - Thomas Jefferson

Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:51 pm

I bought a canadian trail edition rubicon last year(06)
I have over 700 kms on the quad now.
I have had absolutely no problems yet.
I use my quad all winter to plow my driveway(1 km long)
no matter what the temp is. Sometimes as low as -32 celcius.
I also live right next to unlimited trails which have ton's
of muskeg and water and rocks and sand.
I also bought my wife a fourtraxx canadian trail edition
and it is another awsome machine!

Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next