View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 1986 Honda TRX200sx stupid questions 

Post 1986 Honda TRX200sx stupid questions
Hope I did not double post but couple of questions on my 86 Honda TRX200sx. My lever on the left side of the handle bars is broken. I have the clamp but the metal/plastic lever is broke. A cable goes to it missing the round piece that goes into the lever. It is the clutch right?????? Was told my ATV does not have a clutch!! Another stupid question...where to you drain the oil....or where is the drain plug?

Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:56 pm

Post 86 TRX200xs Update
In my earlier post I was uneducated, this time I know more. The left handle is for the rear brake and the clutch....one squeeze does both. Here is my question....as I need the left side handle (used to apply brakes & clutch) does it have only one hole for the brake or clutch cable? Think so as the bracket that mounts to the handlebars has the other one built into it. Oh, found the oil drain plug.

Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:35 pm

ATV: 2003 Rancher TM
2003 Rincon
I had a '86 TRX200 Utility (not the SX model) and it had a centrifugal clutch. IE the clutch engaged as the engine rpm increased above idle, just like most ATVs made today that are not sport models. So, I figure the left lever is just for the rear brake, like all Honda utility ATVs.

'The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government' - Thomas Jefferson

Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:59 pm

Post TRX200sx stupid questions - answers
Found out that two cables run to the left handle...one is for the rear brakes...biggest cable and a much smaller one which works the clutch. As you seem to know what is up, what does the "sx" stand for. Getting a manual for it so will know more. Needed an ATV around the ranch and a friend had this one sitting, some tlc and it seems to be running ok.

Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:40 am

2003 Rincon
I do not know what the SX stands for. I do know the "X" is Hondas notation for a recreational sport quad, as opposed to the "R", which is racing. But what the "S" means I have no idea. EX stands for electric start "X" model. Is this quad a pull start only by any chance?

Does this 200 have a rack? Mine did, I believe the SX model did not.

I would Imagine if the left lever also disengages the clutch, that it will need to be adjusted so the clutch pulls long before the brake starts engaging.

'The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government' - Thomas Jefferson

Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:27 am

Post TRX200sx reply
Has a backup pull starter, but designed w/a starter. Has racks on the front and rear. Not a large ATV but big enough to do what I have intended. If I knew how to post a photo I would!! Gas tank is my other problem. Pin holes, some larger than that. Fiberglassed the underneath side and plan to etch with Muratic acid then baking soda, then coat the inside. New tanks are around $200, not cost efficient. Tnx for the reply.

Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:27 pm

Post 1986 Honda TRX200sx fourtrax ATV
Learning more about this ATV every day. Ordered the left side lever that controls rear brake and found out......REVERSE lockout! This thing does have a cent. clutch. The lever had a button with an "R" on it....When you want reverse, you push down the R button then engage the brake/reverse lever, with your left foot, engage reverse, release lever and you are going backwards. Sealed the inside of the gas tank yesterday with Red Kote, waiting for it to cure before I try and start the engine for the first time since I have had it. Oh, does the front headlight only come on when the engine is running? It does not when I turn on the switch w/engine not running and none of the wires are hot when checked w/test light.

Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:58 am

2003 Rincon
Oh hell, I forgot about the reverse lockout. All Hondas have it. How can you forget about something that is such a PITA? :lol:

Should be a headlight switch on the left handlebar controls. Check for power into that switch and out of it. Might be a bad light switch, key switch, or wire. I believe it should come on whenever the key is on.

Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]