View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 rancher starter problems 

Post rancher starter problems
1st problem ever with my 2002 350 rancher. manual trans, full battery, and all i get is a loud click when i try the electric starter. click comes from behind battery. atv will start with rope start but that seems to jam sometimes. advice?????

Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:14 pm

ATV: 95 TRX300FW
Affiliation: Dirty Intentions riding club.
use a volt meter or test light and make sure your getting power to the starter with the button pushed. if getting power then it's starter brushes, if no power check the solenoid.

Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:41 am

thanx toodeep; will check it later. what is the loud clicking noise when starter button is peushed?

thanx

Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:14 am

ATV: '09 "Desert Hawk Edition" Rincon
Affiliation: Proud and Supporting Member of;
NRA(lifetime),Ducks Unlimited(lifetime)

Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:59 am

thanx toodeep; will check it later. what is the loud clicking noise when starter button is peushed?

thanx

that would be the solenoid trying to work, it will do that when it or the brushes are bad

Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:32 am

ok, 12 strong volts to the starter. how hard is it to change or repair brushes on starter? looks like i would have to go through battery box.

Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:42 pm

you have to take the air box out, 1 bolt on the bottom and unhook it from the carb and breather hose from the motor. there are 2 bolts that hold the starter to the motor (10mm head) and pull the starter off from the motor (might have to use a screwdriver and pry it a little) and don't worry nothing to fall down in the motor.

take a marker and place a couple marks on the starter to ease lining it back up during reassembly. then there are 2 bolts that hold the starter together (7mm heads) and take the starter apart. take the top off and note the washers and the same for the bottom. take the old brushes out (10mm head on the nut) and note how the washers are. put the new brushes in and clean the armature with some fine grit sand paper. put it together and reassemble.

this isn't a 350 starter but it will give you an idea of whats inside. there not that tough to do just take note of the washers.

Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:19 pm

wow toodeep! did you take yours apart just to show me??? i am amazed. actually, thank you very much. that will be a job for monday.

kiowa

Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:10 pm

thats an old starter that was laying in the shop, as you can see the brushes are bad (bottom left corner of the pic).

Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:19 pm

thanx toodeep. $37 and it's working fine.

Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:06 pm

Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]